any good DVD programs out there?

Ask questions concerning backing up your Anime DVDs

Moderator: AK Senior Mod

ayashi1
Otaku 3rd Class

any good DVD programs out there?

Postby ayashi1 » Sun Jul 04, 2004 6:27 am

Hey, I'm trying to convert AVI files to MPEG 1 or 2 and burn them onto dvd. IS there any program out there that will convert(without messing up the sound or pic) and burn to dvd?
I've tried ULEAD and Honestech and they suck. Thanks :failed:
ayashi1
Otaku 3rd Class

also....

Postby ayashi1 » Sun Jul 04, 2004 7:34 am

is there a program that will burn multiple videos on dvdr instead of like 3 on a 4.7 dvdr? HELP!
kuro_zero
Master Otaku

Postby kuro_zero » Mon Jul 05, 2004 1:52 pm

I have really been meaning to create an FAQ on how to convert AVIs to playable DVDs.

Obviously, you wish to convert your DivX, Xvid, and maybe other MPEG4 codec encoded video into MPEG 1 or 2 so you can use them to create your playable DVD .vob files. A great program for that is EO Video (all programs mentioned should be easy finds on a google search, a free trial available from their webpage. Plug-in supported, as long as you have a necessary decoder, EO Video can covert it into MPEG 1, 2, VCD, or another .avi codec. Easy to use explorer interface and batch processing via playlist editing, EO Video is a great tool to convert neary any media source. The downside? It's awefully slow.

Now that you have your MPEG format videos, you can use a program like Roxio DVD author, Adobe Premeire, or any other DVD authoring tool to create the menus and import your video files. Most also feature a writing utility that'll change you're MPEG videos into the necessary .IFO and .VOB file struture and then burn that to the disk. One that you may want to look into is TMPGEnc DVD Author, trial shareware version available online. You won't be able to create fancy menus or effects, but it get the job done with minimum fuss.

But, it looks like you were able to get something onto a DVD-R, but only three episodes. The problem is probably the bitrate your are encoding your MPEGs too. Whatever program you're using, you should have an option to change the target bitrate of the MPEG. Since your source is a compressed standard, it does not pay to have a bitrate greater than 1000-1500 kbit/s (MPEG1) and 1800-2300 kbits/s (for MPEG2), depending on the quality of the source. With those bitrate, you should be able to fit 5-7 MPEG1 coded episodes per DVD-R.

Hope that helps.
Image Image
rilaura
Otaku 3rd Class

Postby rilaura » Fri Oct 01, 2004 2:10 am

The last version of NERO will help you in an easy way
:blink: :blink:
Koji
Grand Master Otaku

Postby Koji » Fri Oct 01, 2004 3:17 am

The problem with nero is for NTSC dvd's the audio isn't compressed. This cuts down on how much video you can store on a single DVD.

http://www.dvdrhelp.com They have the biggest and best collection of FAQs, documents, and programs needed to burn a DVD successfully.
jakessonjaysee
Otaku 2nd Class

Postby jakessonjaysee » Fri Oct 01, 2004 9:01 pm

I tried using the 30 day trial version of dvd-lab; although it doesn't let you use mpeg1 files; I was able to put 10 episodes of naruto in widescreen format using TMPGEnc 2.5's mpeg2. It also lets you use downloaded pictures from the internet to make menus.

Postby Guest » Fri Apr 07, 2006 3:31 pm

:D :D :D
rdperalta
Grand Master Otaku

Postby rdperalta » Thu Jun 29, 2006 9:08 pm

I use TMPGEnc to encode the Video to m2v and the audio to mp2 then I use either TMPGEnc DVD Author to make it into DVD and if you have the Dolby Digital Plugin for it you can encode to DD AC3 audio or DVD Maestro as an authoring software if you want to really customize your menu

Return to “Anime DVD Backup Guide”