Xbox Kinect

Talk about consoles and pc gaming

Moderators: Futoranime, Link_Shinigami, AK Senior Mod

Aerel
Grand Master Otaku

Xbox Kinect

Postby Aerel » Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:15 am

So I just bought a Kinect and I LOVE it. It's really neat how well it picks up your motions. I especially like that I can go onto Xbox live and play with my friends/family and hear/see them. This is my first Xbox too.

So far all I've tried are Dance Central and Kinect Adventures. I like them both. Dance Central is fun because I feel like I'm actually learning dance moves, albeit sometimes odd ones, unlike DDR.

Kinect Adventures is fun and it's also a really good workout. The obstacle course is particularly tricky.
m_man21
Grand Master Otaku

Re: Xbox Kinect

Postby m_man21 » Fri Nov 26, 2010 2:06 pm

I'm still undecided about the Kinect...

I saw it in a games store a while back but it seemed like one of those marketing gimmicks (you know the ones that start great with a lot of hype only to die off after customers buy enough to fund the marketing campaign but not enough to keep the product in the market) whose sole purpose is to separate me from my hard earned money (I'm a working parent which tends to make me very cautious with my doe).

Personally I will wait until a number of genre defining games (also known in the industry as killer games or console sellers) are released on the Xbox 360 utilizing it before I jump on the bandwagon.

I learned not to fall for gimmicky concepts ever since I bought a Sega Dreamcast 9 years ago (at the time of purchase it seemed like a great idea) and I was caught up in hype only to regret it a year later (when Sega folded because of the insane competition from both Sony and Nintendo) and had to buy a PS2 (I still have my Dreamcast if anyone is interested).

The lesson I learned from that experience is never bet on an unproven product unless you are pretty passionate about it ( I bought the Nintendo DS on a whim when it was first released because I thought it was an awesome concept and I have never regretted it).

I still enjoy using my existing gaming consoles (with conventional and unconventional gaming controls) and the ones that have a special place in my heart are my IPad (a birthday present from my elder brother), Nintendo Wii (I still play Wii Sports resort with my Niece whenever have the time) and my DSi (I hope Nintendo catches up to Apple's amazing market place but they still have some gems out there of special mention is Dodo Go).

I will leave the experimental concepts to those of you who are more independent.
Aerel
Grand Master Otaku

Postby Aerel » Sun Nov 28, 2010 12:28 am

LoL well the Kinects weren't flying off the shelves so I'm not sure how much funding the marketing campaign is getting. I really had my doubts, and concerns as well, and honestly I'm not into the gimmicks either (though I also bought a Dreamcast and I have to say, I freaking LOVE that thing. I still play Skies of Arcadia on it and Soul Caliber), but I did a lot of reading up on reviews and I thought it was worth the risk.

I was worried the Kinect wouldn't function well, and it's actually waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better than I anticipated. I kind of thought the lack of controller would be a real downside, and I can't see Kinects replacing the controller for every game out there. It just wouldn't work. However for the more active games it totally works and better than the Wii. I was considering getting the Wii Fit and I'm really glad I didn't. I found the board clunking and uncomfortable to balance on, I like how the Kinect lets me move around the room. The tracking is pretty darn good, only sometimes is it a bit finicky with my hands.

Considering you get the Kinect for $150 if you already have an Xbox, that's pretty reasonable when you think about how it's basically a better Wii without the console. And Xbox 360 goes for $200 now, so it's fairly priced imo. I just wish that more games were cross-platform. Like I really enjoy the Nintendo Wii games and I'd love to see some of those on Kinect.

I never would have purchased an Xbox without the Kinect since the majority of the games that come out for Xbox I don't have much interest in. And my Wii has kept me busy. The Kinect had enough potential to justify, in my mind, getting something so similar to the Wii. Although I love Nintendo games I kind of have this hate for my Wii. The controllers annoy me. I wish Nintendo had come up with something like Kinect first.

EDIT: Also, I've already learned to dance to Soulja Boy so really, paid for itself right there :giggle:
UraniumPoppySeed
Grand Master Otaku

Postby UraniumPoppySeed » Sun Nov 28, 2010 12:58 am

If they come out with a Mortal Kombat game for the Kinect, I think I'm willing to fork over some money for it ;)
25th Original GMO
MASTER IMPLODER!!! As well as master of various other plosions ^_^
Stay out of trouble, they don't show anime in Jail!!! O__O
demdem
Grand Master Otaku

Postby demdem » Sun Nov 28, 2010 11:23 am

I'm still undecided about it too all I keep hearing is negative feedback on it.
I'm thinking I may wait for either gamestop to put out a display model or for their to be a good enough game to warrant it.
The notorious Sandrock Chibi Abuser
"curiosity killed the cat" Wrong! "Stupidity killed the cat and blamed it on curiosity." Correct!
m_man21
Grand Master Otaku

Postby m_man21 » Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:02 pm

Hi Aerel;

I'm glad to find that there are others out there who fell for the Dreamcast, but surprised that you actually find the experience pleasant, I agree the games you mentioned were great (god knows that I bought it for Soul Caliber alone) but truly feel cheated because it lasted for as long as it did (two years if I recall correctly) instead of the 6 years I got from my PS2.

This is the same exact concern I have with the Kinect...

If I decide to buy it I will spend $150 (which as you mentioned is $50 less than the price of the console) to play 3 or so good games but after I'm done I will just throw it in the attic because Microsoft couldn't bother to support it any further and decided to go with the next big thing (probably the new X-Box).

This for me exemplifies why I'm so cautious with these things (I fell two years ago for HD DVD players and it is still collecting dust).

Once things settle down a bit and its clear that Microsoft will support it with a good selection of games I will try it out.
demdem
Grand Master Otaku

Postby demdem » Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:23 pm

m_man21 wrote:If I decide to buy it I will spend $150 (which as you mentioned is $50 less than the price of the console) to play 3 or so good games but after I'm done I will just throw it in the attic because Microsoft couldn't bother to support it any further and decided to go with the next big thing (probably the new X-Box).

That is probably what will happen, look what happened to the virtual boy which was supposed to be the hottest item of its time.
Before the Kinect can even become a decent product MS needs to work out the bugs more, besides the fact that the Kinect doesn't read people who have dark skin who is to say that MS didn't move in the way of the X-Box with the heat distribution pieces of which were a mere $0.62 and would solve the system failure aka RRoD.
Besides that no one really knows what short cuts they took with the system like they did in the 360 slim; to fix the RRoD problem they removed the red led...
I'm too much in the middle of the undecided crowd, I mean the system has the potential to be good but like all new releases there is still a significant amount of bugs to work out before I would consider it.
I am aware that there is a lot of negative hype about it but if the system was as good as MS claimed it to be why would they go as far as to suppress all reviews be it written or otherwise on the Kinect going so far as to send their attack lawyers after people who would put reviews back up after being told to remove them.
I think if I decide to get one It'll be a second generation version where hopefully there will be more decent games and MS will pull their head's out of their butts and fix some of the large bugs.
The notorious Sandrock Chibi Abuser
"curiosity killed the cat" Wrong! "Stupidity killed the cat and blamed it on curiosity." Correct!
Aerel
Grand Master Otaku

Postby Aerel » Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:37 pm

Forever later I remember to post again... -_-

I don't know that MS is planning to abandon the Kinect. There are new games coming out more and more frequently. My major concern now is that it will become a "kids only" platform. A lot of the games out I have NO interest in what so ever (Kinectanimals? Really?). But I had the same concerns about Wii and they've turned out some decent big kid games.

There's a Star Wars Kinect game coming out and an acting game called YooStar 2 (that is a really interesting idea for a game imo). There's supposed to be a rapping one :giggle: Don't think that will be on my list. I hear the sports one is really good for the tennis, ping pong and volley ball but the bowling, soccer and running are bad. Wii sports was similar. I think they should avoid the replacement of outdoorsy activities and stick with things that you can't easily do irl.

M_Man: I love cheesy games so Dreamcast worked great for me but I only have three games for it. Also it takes me forever to finish a game, and I enjoy replaying games over and over. I think I've finished Skies of Arcadia at least five times (it's like 30 hours if you do everything lol). If I were more of a hardcore gamer I think I'd have been more upset about them discontinuing the games. If they did that with Kinect I'd be pretty angry so I can totally see what you mean. I don't think MS is the type of company to invest in a product and not have a pretty good sense that it will sell, but there's Vista so ... then again I think people still bought that -_-

UPS: There's a cage fighting game. :giggle: I would love a MK game. In Dance Central when you perform a move perfectly it says "Flawless" so that's close, right? ;)

Demdem: I hadn't heard before that Kinect won't pick up dark coloured skin. I use it in my basement with very little lighting and it seems to work fine (though I'm so white I reflect). My black friend played it with no problems. As far as picking people up the only issue I've seen is my brother who's 6 feet+ sometimes it won't pick up his feet. He claims I've rigged it so I have the advantage :giggle: I think it's to do with placement. If it's up high it tends to not pick things up and his Kinect is chest level. Mine's about three feet off the floor and works great.

Return to “Gaming Center”