The First Anime TV Series

Think you know everything there is to know about Anime? Well come in and test out your Anime knowledge or try to stump our fellow AK members

Moderator: AK Senior Mod

keoland
Grand Master Otaku

The First Anime TV Series

Postby keoland » Fri Oct 05, 2007 2:33 am

A simple trivia question:

What was the very first anime TV series ever broadcast in Japan?

(bonus points if you can tell the length of each episode)

Regards,
Keoland
Last edited by keoland on Sun Oct 07, 2007 8:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Perverted Hermit
Grand Master Otaku

Postby Perverted Hermit » Sun Oct 07, 2007 5:47 am

I guess Otogi Manga Calendar? I mean, the episodes were only 3 minutes long, but given the fact that the first Season ran for something like 312 episodes, I'd call it a series.
エロ仙人-watch out!
keoland
Grand Master Otaku

Postby keoland » Sun Oct 07, 2007 8:18 am

Perverted Hermit wrote:I guess Otogi Manga Calendar? I mean, the episodes were only 3 minutes long, but given the fact that the first Season ran for something like 312 episodes, I'd call it a series.

In fact, 'Otogi Manga Calendar' (おとぎマンガカレンダ) ran for 312 5-minute episodes from June 25th, 1962, to July 4th 1963.

I will consider it right because 'Manga Calendar' was in fact the second season of 'Instant History' (インスタントヒストリ), which also ran for 312 episodes, of 3 minutes each, from May 1st, 1961 to February 24th, 1962.

So we may think of it as being the same series. It a show about 'This day in History...'. It used film and footage from the Mainichi Shimbun newspaper, mostly because the series' director, Yokoyama Ryuichi, ran a manga strip there at the time.

An interesting point to make about this was that, for many decades, all the data available only referred to theatrical features from 1957 onwards, and TV series were only recorded from 1963 on, thus making 'Tetsuwan Atom' (aka 'Astro Boy') appear as the first anime TV series, a title it held in many professional articles and publications over the years. Indeed, even today Tezukas' son tries to pass off 'Astro Boy' as the first anime series ever, though it ran from January 1st, 1963 to December 31st, 1966.

The error was only finally dispelled in 1989, with the publication of 'The Art of Japanese Animation II: 70 years of theatrical films', by the staff of the Japanese 'Animage' magazine, who really dug deep down the records of the TV stations to find out the truth.

It came as something of a shock to many anime professional 'experts' around the world, really.

Well done,
Keoland

Return to “Anime Trivia”