The Committee to Restore Anime-Kingdom.

Talk about anything that doesn't have to do with anime.

Moderators: cuckoobird, LogDog, UraniumPoppySeed, AK Senior Mod

Koji
Grand Master Otaku

The Committee to Restore Anime-Kingdom.

Postby Koji » Sun May 13, 2007 8:35 pm

http://www.anime-kingdom.net/phpbb/view ... hp?t=42094

My original topic with my outline to restore the Fansub branch of Anime Kingdom. I now bring you part 2, the plan to restore the forum.

The biggest part of this plan is a massive restructuring of the forum. I admit, I have not posted anything or tried talking to Arujei-sama about this before hand. I want the general populace's opinion before I work on a better outline.

Ideally, the first step would be updating this forum, getting a complete new look... but I concede that is a lot of work, and would be quite taxing to Arujei... Thus I think the first and best step would be to cut back on a lot of the current forums... All these subforums were created when AK was much much larger and it made things simpler. Now the attendence is much lower and all of these sub forums feel very empty. This doesn't just look bad, it's horribly daunting to new users to the forum. While I haven't thought of exactly which would be best to merge yet (I'd rather get general ideas on whether this is good or not, and what the community feels would be the best candidates for removal/merging/etc).

Since I don't know a lot of people here (or don't remember them at least <_<) It's pretty safe to say that a lot of you will either be looking at me weird at this point... Or think it's silly... or something along those lines... I don't want AK to "return to what it was" as that's old people thinking... that everything is better how it was. Instead, I just want to expand and bring new people. Get new blood flowing and make this place energetic again. Hell, even a little chaos like in the old days wasn't SO bad ^_^

I'd love anyone opinions/comments/thoughts/insults/etc to this idea. I still plan on writing a bit more on the subject once I have my thoughts together better and I've had a chance to talk to Arujei and others (hopefully after getting more peoples feedback). Again, I want honest feedback whether good or ill on either the forum idea, or the fansub idea.

Koji~
Atom_Bunny
Grand Master Otaku

Postby Atom_Bunny » Mon May 14, 2007 12:44 am

Hi there Koji. ^_^.

There was a little discussion on this a bit down the page - here http://www.anime-kingdom.net/phpbb/view ... hp?t=41958

Personally I think a little restructuring would be good. The place does feel kinda empty and it would also be good to get more people here again.

I'm not sure what I can do to help though.

Atom XX (who now has to run to take the brat to school :P)
GMO - 40
keoland
Grand Master Otaku

Postby keoland » Mon May 14, 2007 2:50 pm

Personally, I figured out that "less is better" in many cases.

If I were to remodel AK I would just adjust the forums. All forums which have not gotten a new post in over a year would be eliminated (with the exception of anime reviews).

In essence, we would go bat to the UBB board days, which worked perfectly when we were not that many.

Forums needed:

- News and Announcents

- Anime Discussions

- General Discussions

- Help/Streamload Issues

Everything else can be made a part of any of those main forums. Anime reviews, for example, can be a subforum of Anime Discussions. That's it. No need for technological upgrades, just slim things down (the Polls should never have had their own subforum, IMHO).

For active forums, just merge them into the appropriate areas. Some threads will be a bit buried, but the most active ones will survive and everything will soon be buzzing at normal speed.

It should be noted that I used the experience learned at AK when adjusting the forums of my newspaper, which serve a large audience and yet have this exact philosophy: one official forum, one forum for our particular audience, a general offtopic forum, and a technical help forum. At it works just fine like that, ensuring that everyone gets to meet everyone.

The only thing I would not change would be the banners. Keep them, and with as many anime characters as possible. They identify AK, define ourselves and make us feel comfortable.

Regards,
Keoland
Aerel
Grand Master Otaku

Postby Aerel » Tue May 15, 2007 4:01 pm

LOL there's two of us who think this way I guess
Max7
Master Otaku

Postby Max7 » Sat May 19, 2007 1:01 pm

Hmmm.. well it's kind of cool to change the apperance once in a while but I know how boring, tired, lazy, etc., you may feel doing it... So it's up to Arujei and any other staff member that helps him on that.

Now, the sections I usually visit:
-Anime Disscusions
-General Disscusions
-Babel tower
-Wish list
-Streamload issues

Sections I consider useful (used to visit them):
-DVD Backup
-Media Playback and PC troubleshooting

Other changes I consider could be done:
-Include name of the Anime on the Banner that's displayed ;)
-Perhaps install a Search Tool that can be accesed inside the specific topic or subsection where you want to search. Other php forums have this feature.
Have you ever felt your Cosmo?
izlude
Master Otaku

Postby izlude » Sun May 20, 2007 5:13 am

Streamlining the forums would help a lot in my opinion.

It seems like at the moment everything is too spread out for the amount of activity here.
>-< >_< >.> <.< o.O O.o -_- X_X x-X x_X

The various faces of constipation :(
shinji
Grand Master Otaku

Postby shinji » Fri May 25, 2007 11:09 pm

yap, pretty much agree with what everyone else says. I dont visit AK much but when i do it seems kind of daunting with the amount of forums we have.

I say we turn this place into a tracker!
lcvictory
Master Otaku

Postby lcvictory » Sun May 27, 2007 5:40 pm

It is always good to remodel, as long as you dont change the site so much that we dont recognise it anymore.

A few suggestion if possible:
-colors, maybe each forum or family of forum has its own color scheme, but I know that this is more dependent on the site than on what we want
-most used forums, keep them, and combined the rest that have the least traffic cause sometimes, too many options is just too much
-technical issues and faqs, make some permanent posts that states "read this first and if it doesnt answer your question then post it", partitioned in specific topics and updated at intervals with new faqs, that might be better than answering each post with a reference to an earlier post

I know that it is lotta work, but take it slow, and make small changes and see how people are taking them.
KISS
Keep It Simple, Stupid
kaioshane
Master Otaku

Postby kaioshane » Sun May 27, 2007 5:52 pm

I agree that consolidating some of the forums would increase posts and bring the community closer together.
szzzt
Master Otaku

Postby szzzt » Sat Jun 30, 2007 9:35 pm

I agree with all that stuff keoland says.
Many of the forums I never visited even when we were still buzzing; but now, particularly, things like AMVs, Japanese help, and trivia could be slimmed down to a thread each in General or Anime discussions. Then people would see them more and be moved to read and post. Hey, if I saw a trivia thread whenever I went to General, I'd read it! :D

As far as aesthetic changes, I don't think that those are really necessary. But indeed, we should keep all the banners.
Biggest Kohri fangirl in the Western Hemisphere! Now if only there were another...
~~~~~~Po55ろ55oR oF よ33t こoFF33 そkI//z~~~~~~
Link_Shinigami
Otaku Trainee

Postby Link_Shinigami » Mon Jul 02, 2007 9:16 pm

Not to be a downer or anything because what I'm saying doesn't exactly equal fact, just getting that out there.

I'm all for what everyone is saying needs to be done, the streamlining and the slimming and all of that, but what comes to mind for me is would it in any way effect the bandwith usage? Because lets face it, it's easy to make suggestions but if it means the differnce in keeping it cheaper, I'd lean more to just leaving it as is (But that choice isn't mine to make... I don't know who pays the bill or how it's broken up or any of that, so yeah)

Likewise to the tracker thing, again, the increased traffic I'd be worried about who had to pay the bill and how that would be handled...

Again, I don't know how it exactly works or how much bandwith is given/used/etc I'm just saying something that came into mind when this thread was made.
GMO#36
I don't have a job! YAY
kaioshane
Master Otaku

Postby kaioshane » Tue Jul 03, 2007 3:06 pm

The redesign and restructure could actually save cpu power and bandwith depending on how it's done, databases used, etc.

Also, if the AK fansub group resurfaces and brings some serious bandwith our way we can always setup donations.
Tigria
Master Otaku

Postby Tigria » Thu Jul 05, 2007 7:31 pm

I know a few years back when the donating and other types of fund raising stuff was floated it got knock down pretty quickly. The mods didn't want money floating on boards for any reason.
Streamload ID: Tigria
Josei
Grand Master Otaku

Postby Josei » Thu Jul 05, 2007 8:44 pm

What about adding a section for access to stuff. Keep streamload as our major source but have the other options available. I'm still a streamload member but no longer paying for a subscription but am a freeloader. These days I get my anime from bittorent and thru direct downloads such as megaupload and sendspace. As long as we get permission to post links or upload your own links. Using direct download sites would be used only for current materials...older materials will be left to streamload. Streamload was a godsend during a time when getting files were difficult and limited (can't find and download speeds). But now we have more options, what with bittorents and the return of direct download sites.

I'm ok with the idea to streamline the forum. Just don't go overboard with it.

Maybe start up again an AK showing of some anime or dramas. It is what I miss most about watching anime and dramas.... the ongoing discussions and sharing of the anime and dramas. How often would we discuss on irc or in the forum about a certain anime or drama.
Maybe we could take advantage of youtube or crunchyroll and some other online viewing source that we could temporarily upload and watch together.
"Im a girl dammit. And Ive got the boobs to prove it"

Streamload Account: Josei
Magic Waiter Account: Kool Kitty
ssj001
Grand Master Otaku

Postby ssj001 » Sat Jul 07, 2007 1:43 pm

I don't know about you guys, but I first went to this site primarily to download stuff, and it was only after a feeling of "guilt" (and a ban policy for leechers was put into place) that I started posting. I figure it's the same for a lot of people.

Bottom line, no matter what you do with the discussion forums, you're not going to attract the new blood necessary to keep this place vibrant w/o offering more download options. I mean, I don't think people really go looking for Streamload sites anymore.

And you can't rely on most of the "Oldbies" since a lot of them have outgrown their interest in anime (I haven't completely, but I notice more and more I only watch revivals of older series, like Macross Zero or the upcoming Evangelion Rebuild) and/or have turned their sights on their careers, families, etc.

Speaking of which, I should probably do the same! :agree:
So goodbye AK, I enjoyed talking with you all over the years :wave: . This should be my last post :cry: ; and if I lose focus and meander back here, somebody please set me straight! :b4k45t1ck:

Good luck on trying to revive the site... :yatta:
4th Original Grand Master Otaku!!

Return to “General Discussions”